Monday 21 October 2019

Tau XV25 Stealth Battlesuits.

Recently I was asked by a friend to paint up some minis that his wife had won for him in a raffle. I was happy to oblige this request as it gave me a chance to have a look at some Tau models.

My first task was to take a look at some colour schemes but to do that, I had to find a "Sept".
So off I went online to do some research into colour scheme, bearing in mind my only request from my mate is that the colour scheme had to be something I thought was cool.

So after trawling through google images I came across some images of a dark green scheme with whitish highlights, digging a bit more I found this scheme belonged to the N'dras Sept. Looking at the scheme, I could see it wouldn't be as simple as using Caliban green and Warpstone glow so time to buy new paints.
Fortunately for me I have the citadel app on my phone and it didn't take long to find the paints I was looking for.

Looking at the pack, the set comes with 3 battlesuits, one drone and what appears to be a crashed probe and possibly a beacon, anyhoo.

Starting with the usual, I spray painted the sprues with black matt spray for the undercoat, given the sea green colour scheme, a dark undercoat will help provide a murky undertone.
The bases I felt for these models, would need to be first thing completed, so I applied a couple of layers with Stirland Battlemire. A technical paint from Games Workshop which contains microbeads for texturing. Realising the the miniatures wouldn't have a lot of surface contact to stick to, I dabbed a little more where the feet would meet the base and pressed the feet onto the paint. This gave me an area to stick the feet onto once dry. To give the base a more frigid and alien look, I dry brushed some Etherium Blue on to the texture and applied the same to all bases.

First two thin coats applied to the models, consisted of Kabalite green following by a all over wash of Coelia Greenshade. I was surprised by how effective the wash had created light and dark tones over the models but had also filled into the recesses giving the models plenty of depth. Moving onto high lights I used Sybarite Green and finally dotting Ulthuan Grey over the sharpest edges and corners. I left part of the top half unpainted so that the whole miniatures wouldn't be all one colour. To complete this part I started with two thin coats of Celestra Grey, moving onto two thing coats of Ulthuan Grey and highlighting with White Scar. At this stage, the models were coming along nicely. To finish the models, I painted the inner plates of the attenas using the same paints Celestra Grey, Ulthuan Grey and White Scar.

Next stage was the gears and Tau symbols on the shoulders, thin layer of Screaming bell and a thin layer of Retributor Amour. I find that the Screaming Bell provides a warm undertone to the gold paint but also pairs nicely when you use Reikland fleshshade to fill in the recessed parts. A quick thin layer of Retributor Armour once more and these parts are done.

Moving onto the weapons, I opted to leave the undercoat on and not paint over with Abaddon black. As Abbadon black is a slightly darker finish than the black undercoat, I felt the lighter tone would work well when I used Dawnstone to highlight the black areas on the weapons.

To separate the miniatures between leader and followers, I painted the leaders helmet with Mephiston Red, shaded with Carroburg Crimson and dry brushed all the faces with Etherium blue.

One of the battlesuits I noticed had a knife in it's holster on the left leg. Very quickly I left the pommel black like obsidian and painted the holster in Dryad Brown and highlighted using BaneBlade Brown.

Last thing was the cannisters on the crashed probe which I painted using Leadbletcher.

Allthough there wasn't a lot of paints used with these models, none the less, these I believe would be a great starter set for anyone getting into Tau or even just Warhammer 40k.




I do hope that you've enjoyed reading the sort of guide on painting Tau in the N'dras Sept colour scheme and have at least found either useful, inspiring or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment